Electrical Service Entrance

The Service Entrance is where electricity comes into the home from the electric utility company. It either enters the home from overhead wiring or wiring that is under ground and should run directly to a meter that measures how much electricity you use.

If you have ‘telephone poles’ or utility poles in your neighborhood with wires strung from pole to pole you likely have an Overhead Service Entrance. If there aren’t any of these poles you have an Underground Service Entrance. These two methods are different enough, and can have different enough problems that I’ve dedicated a separate page to each of them. You can find further information here: